QM4Mat offers research consultancy services that uses quantum mechanical modeling to design materials and industrial processes.
Using Quantum Mechanics to design materials is a relatively new approach. Although quantum mechanical modeling has been around for a long time it is not widely used in the industry. QM4Mat works to incorporate quantum mechanical modeling into the design of materials and industrial process.
In practice, there is little research into producing new materials because it requires costly and time-consuming lab work. Now computers have the capacity to perform sophisticated quantum mechanics calculations – and so can design new materials that are tailored to specific needs.
The potential impact of QM4Mat’s services is faster innovation rates and better products. Companies can gain a competitive edge finding substitute materials, e.g. copper in brake pads or cobalt in cutting tools.
Therefore, all companies need to act in order to:
- avoid the risk of being blocked out of markets by competitors who have patents;
- provide products that have lower health risks;
- increase the sustainability rating of their supply chains;
- ensure access to (critical) raw materials.
Material design services are needed by both SMEs and companies. Our experience is that even companies with a large, highly qualified R&D force, often lack the capacity to define the problem as well as set up and perform the calculations.
We aim to work with potential clients so that:
1. Companies know about the net of infrastructure and can gain access to the services.
2. Companies gain an insight into the value that this service can provide in new product development.